Varentsova Larisa Yuryevna, Candidate of historical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of theory and history of state and law, Nizhny Novgorod Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation (3 Ankudinovskoe highway, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia), email@example.com
Background. A special place in system of Central bodies of the 17th century was occupied by a group of court orders in charge of the maintenance of the Royal household and court. The order of the Grand Palace ruled the Palace economy throughout the whole Russian state. Despite a specific importance of this order in the system of government bodies, there are no specific studies on its functioning in the historical literature. The purpose of this article is to analyze the activities of the order of the Grand Palace in the 17th century.
Materials and methods. The works of famous Russian prerevolutionary histo-rians I. E. Zabelin, P. I. Melnikov-Pechersky, the researchers of the Soviet and post-Soviet period C. B. Veselovsky, Y. Gauthier, N. J. Ustygov, V. I. Buganov, N. F. Fi-latov were used in this article. The source base included the memories of the Ger-man scientist A. Olearius, a contemporary of Tsar Alexei Mikhalovich, G. K. Koto-schihin and the documents of the clerk and scribe office. The methodological basis of the work included the principles of historicism and scientific objectivity.
Results. The structure and functions of the order of the Grand Palace were inves-tigated, its role and place in the system of higher Central government was defined. A special attention was paid to the areas under the jurisdiction of this order, inclu¬ding the ones located in the Nizhny Novgorod region. The author spoke about people who worked in the order of the Grand Palace and also considered the tribute system of tradespeople (town people) and peasants, subordinate to the order.
Conclusions. For over two centuries, the order of the Grand Palace ruled the vast Imperial Royal estates.
1. Oleariy A. Opisanie puteshestviya v Moskoviyu: per. s nem. [Description of a trip to Moscovia: translation from German]. Smolensk: Rusich, 2003.
2. Slavyanskaya entsiklopediya. Kievskaya Rus' – Moskoviya: v 2 t. [Slavic encyclopedia. Kiev Rus – Moscovia: in 2 volumes]. Comp. by. V. V. Boguslavskiy. Moscow: OLMA-PRESS, 2003, vol. 2.
3. Dvortsovye razryady, po Vysochayshemu poveleniyu izdavaemye II otdeleniem Cobstvennoy Ego Imperatorskogo Velichestva kantselyariey [Palace ranks, established at the Imperial command by the II department of His Imperial Majesty’s Own Office]. Saint-Petersburg, 1850, vol. 1 (1612–1628 gg.).
4. Eskin Yu. M. Ekonomicheskaya istoriya Rossii (s drevneyshikh vremen do 1917 goda): entsiklopediya: v 2 t. [Economic history of Russia (from ancient times to 1917): encyc-lopedia: in 2 volumes]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2008, vol. 1.
5. Buganov V. I. Mir istorii. Rossiya v XVII stoletii [World of history. Russia in the XVII century]. Moscow: Molodaya gvardiya, 1989.
6. Buganov V. I. Arkheograficheskiy ezhegodnik za 1975 god [Archaeographic yearbook of 1975]. Moscow: Nauka, 1976.
7. Kotoshikhin G. K. O Rossii v tsarstvovanie Alekseya Mikhaylovicha [On Russia during the reign of Alexei Mikhailovich]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2000.
8. Ustyugov N. V. Ocherki istorii SSSR: Period feodalizma: XVII vek [Essays on USSR history: Feodalism period: XVII century]. Moscow: Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1955.
9. Filatov N. F. Goroda i posady Nizhegorodskogo Povolzh'ya v XVII veke. Istoriya. Ark-hitektura [Towns and suburbs of the Nizhny Novgorod region in XVII century. History. Architecture]. Gorkiy: Volgo-Vyatskoe kn. izd-vo, 1989.
10. Mel'nikov-Pecherskiy, P. I. Nizhegorodskie gubernskie vedomosti. Chast' neofitsial'¬naya [Nizhny Novgorod provincial bulletin. Unofficial part]. 1849, no. 71.
11. Balakhninskiy uezd v XVII veke. Dokumenty prikaznogo deloproizvodstva: sb. dokumen-tov [Balakhninsky uyezd in the XVII century. Documents of the scribe office: collected documents]. Nizhniy Novgorod: Komitet po delam arkhivov Nizhegorodskoy oblasti, 2005.
12. Smirnov P. P. Posadskie lyudi i ikh klassovaya bor'ba do serediny XVII veka [Trades people and their class struggle till the mid XVII century]. Moscow; Leningrad: Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1948, vol. 2.
13. Got'e Yu. Zamoskovnyy kray v XVII veke. Opyt issledovaniya po istorii ekonomichesko-go byta Moskovskoy Rusi [Moscow region in XVII. Experience of researching the histo-ry of the Moscow Rus economy]. Moscow: Gosudarstvennoe sotsial'no-ekonomiches¬koe izd-vo, 1937.
14. Kamentseva E. I., Ustyugov N. V. Russkaya metrologiya [Russian metrology]. Mos-cow: Vysshaya shkola, 1975.
15. Varentsova L. Yu., Filatov N. F. Borskoe lesnoe Zavolzh'e v XVII veke. Ocherki istorii. Dokumenty [Borsky distric of the Volga region in XVII century. Historical essyas. Documents]. Nizhniy Novgorod: Izd-vo Nizhegorodskogo gosudarstvennogo universi-teta, 2001.
16. Akty pistsovogo dela 60–80-kh godov XVII veka [Clerk acts of 60–80s of the XVII cen-tury]. Comp. by S. B. Veselovskiy. Moscow: Nauka, 1990.
17. Veselovskiy S. B. D'yaki i pod'yachie XV–XVII vv. [Scribes and clerks in XV–XVII cen-turies]. Moscow: Nauka, 1975.
18. Dal' V. I. Tolkovyy slovar' zhivogo velikorusskogo yazyka: v 12 t. [Explanatory dictio-nary of the Great Russian Language]. Moscow: Mir knigi, 2003, vol. 11.